Is Universal Face Masking Really Needed?
December 4, 2021 | RR Baliga, MD, MBA
PodKast: Is Universal Face Masking Really Needed? | Dr RR Baliga's 'Got Knowledge Doc' PodKasts for Physicians | Not Medical Advice or Opinion
- Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 Kimberly A. Prather Chia C. Wang Robert T. Schooley Science 27 May 2020: DOI: 10.1126/science.abc6197
- Face coverings for the public: Laying straw men to rest Trisha Greenhalgh MD Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, First published: 26 May 2020
- Amid the Coronavirus Crisis, a Regimen for Reëntry. Atul Gawande, New Yorker May 13, 2020
- Greenhalgh T, Schmid MB, Czypionka T, et al. Face masks for the public during the covid‐19 crisis. BMJ. 2020;369:m1435. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1435
- Tufekci Z, Howard J, Greenhalgh T. The real reason to wear a mask. The Atlantic . April 22, 2020
Figure Legend: Masks reduce airborne transmission.
Infectious aerosol particles can be released during breathing and speaking by asymptomatic infected individuals. No masking maximizes exposure, whereas universal masking results in the least exposure.
GRAPHIC: V. ALTOUNIAN/SCIENCE